A full day of lobbying our state legislators in Albany!

“One thing that I realized [from our lobbying trip to Albany] is that students at MCS are really lucky because the teachers here prepare us to be eloquent so that when we step into the same room as an elected official we don’t feel like we’re below them… we’re prepared to speak to them like they are normal people… in a respectful manner.” – Samori, 7th grade

“It felt scary the first time [I lobbied a representative], but then it felt fun telling people what we believed. I also felt proud to represent MCS and share my knowledge.” – Savannah

“When we marched into the big room at the end of the rally if felt awesome. The marching band was playing loudly and there were so many people coming in and they were mostly young people like us. Being a part of that felt like being a real activist!” -Mia

“The rally was exciting. There were lots of speakers who told stories about how the conditions at their school just kept getting worse.” – Pilar

“My favorite part was listening to the young African American man who sang about education. I strongly agreed with what he said and I loved his voice.” –Morgan

“They made me look at education from a different perspective.” - Savannah

With Daniel O'Donnell outside the Assembly

“The moment that sticks out the most to me is getting to lobby my Assemblyman, Daniel O’Donnell. He called me a good politician and I got to tell him that I would like to be the Secretary of State.” - Zuri

“It felt very fun and important to try to convince the representatives to vote for $1.9 billion dollars in additional education funding.” – Willa

with Liz Krueger's staff






No comments:

Post a Comment